Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich Stats
Find the best stats and facts from the BayArena with our Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich stats page. Can Xabi Alonso’s side strengthen their Bundesliga title challenge and remain undefeated?
Our Opta match centre delivers you all of the Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich stats from Saturday’s Bundesliga clash.
The match centre below includes team and player stats, expected goals data, passing networks, an Opta chalkboard and more. It gives you everything you need to do your own post-match analysis of the game.
• Bayer Leverkusen are unbeaten in their last two Bundesliga games against Bayern Munich (W1 D1) – Die Werkself have only managed to go unbeaten in three consecutive league games against FC Bayern in this millennium from 2009 to 2010 under Jupp Heynckes (D3). The 2-2 draw in the reverse fixture this season was the only game this season in which Bayern have dropped points after taking the lead.
• As in the reverse fixture, Leverkusen will face Bayern in first place – the team starting top has not won any of the last four Bundesliga matches against the side in second (D3 L1). Die Werkself have never beaten the side in second in four attempts as league leaders (D2 L2 – three against Bayern and one against Hamburg).
• With 52 points after 20 games, Bayer Leverkusen have enjoyed the third-best season of any club in Bundesliga history (Bayern 2013-14: 56 points, and 2015-16: 53 points). With 50 points, Bayern Munich are the side in second with the most points after 20 Bundesliga games – never before in the history of the Bundesliga have the top two combined for as many points after 20 games (102).
• Leverkusen are only the fourth team in Bundesliga history not to lose any of their first 20 games of the season – previously Bayern did so in 1988-89, again in 2013-14 and Leverkusen themselves in 2009-10, although Bayer 04 only finished fourth under Heynckes.
• Bayern have the best attack in this Bundesliga season with 59 goals (Leverkusen second with 52), while Leverkusen have the best defence with 14 goals conceded (Bayern second with 19). Bayern have also had the most shots (401), while Leverkusen have faced the fewest (173).
• Bayern and Leverkusen have each scored 15 goals from set pieces, the joint-most in the league along with RB Leipzig. The last five goals scored by Die Werkself against Bayern were all from set pieces (three penalties, two free kicks).
• Bayer Leverkusen have the highest average distance from their own goal to start open-play sequences of all teams in this Bundesliga season (44.1 metres), with Bayern Munich the second highest (43.9). Leverkusen also have the most high turnovers of all clubs (224), with Bayern the second-most (194).
• Harry Kane has scored 24 goals in the first 20 matchdays of this Bundesliga season for Bayern – only Robert Lewandowski has scored as many goals in the first 20 matchdays in 2020-21. In Bundesliga history, only Uwe Seeler scored more goals in his first season (30 in 1963-64) than Kane.
• Leroy Sané has provided the most assists in the Bundesliga season with 11, while Alex Grimaldo is the second-most with nine. However, Sané has only been directly involved in one goal for Bayern in 436 Bundesliga minutes against Leverkusen. Only against Wolfsburg does he have a higher such rate for Bayern (one goal involvement in 483 minutes).
• Bayer Leverkusen manager Xabi Alonso played a total of 117 competitive matches for Bayern as a player from 2014 to 2017. As a coach, he’s unbeaten in his first two Bundesliga games against Bayern (W1 D1). The last coach to go unbeaten in his first three league games against Bayern was Julian Nagelsmann between 2016 and 2017 with Hoffenheim.
Enjoy this? Subscribe to our new football newsletter to receive exclusive weekly content. You should also follow our social accounts over on X, Instagram, TikTok and Facebook.