Morelos double as Rangers rally to beat Kilmarnock

by 24britishtvJan. 19, 2023, midnight 14

Last updated on .From the section Scottish Premiership

Alfredo Morelos inspired Rangers to victory at 10-man Kilmarnock as they staged another recovery to prevent further damage to their Scottish Premiership title hopes.

The Colombia striker extended the lead after Danny Armstrong's red card, but Rangers endured a nervous finale after Joe Wright's brilliant volley.

Beale's men held firm to complete a comeback win that keeps them within nine points of Celtic, while second-bottom Kilmarnock remain three points clear of Ross County.
• None Everything you need to know about Rangers

Rangers have not been without their troubles at Rugby Park in recent years - four of their previous seven league visits had ended in defeat - and another fraught visit beckoned following a sluggish start that will concern Beale.

It was not as if his side hadn't been warned either - Ash Taylor planted a free header wide of the unguarded net after Jon McLaughlin completely missed an Armstrong corner.

Just a couple of minutes later, another Armstrong delivery caused panic in the Rangers box and Stokes rose above Scott Arfield to give Kilmarnock a deserved lead.

Rangers were rattled, sloppy in possession and second to every ball as the hosts tore at them and showed no hangover from their Viaplay Cup semi-final loss to Celtic last Sunday.

Winger Armstrong, a standout at Hampden, was again at the heart of Kilmarnock's best work before ruining his performance with a forearm smash on Borna Barisic that left referee Kevin Clancy little choice but to show a second yellow.

By then Rangers had turned the deficit into a lead either side of half-time without looking hugely convincing.

Connor Goldson had a header parried away by Sam Walker before Beale's men crafted a slick equaliser as James Tavernier released Fashion Sakala down the right and the forward's cutback was perfect for Morelos to sweep home with a first-time finish.

Morelos was involved again as Rangers surged ahead, rolling a pass for Kent to thump into the bottom corner as Kilmarnock were caught out by a rapid attack.

The Colombia striker nodded in Barisic's cross to give the visitors breathing space and he might have had a hat-trick - Walker denied him with a sprawling save - as Rangers looked to be cantering to victory until Wright lashed into top corner with five minutes to go.

Beale's men almost immediately restored their two-goal advantage as Malik Tillman brought the best out of Walker, but former Ibrox striker Kyle Lafferty had a long-range effort pushed away from the top corner by McLaughlin as Kilmarnock fought to the last.

The effectiveness of Beale's policy of rotating goalkeepers McLaughlin and Allan McGregor comes into question after a soft early concession.

McLaughlin was ill at ease coping with high balls during that torrid spell and Kilmarnock had clearly targeted a vulnerability in Rangers' ability to deal with set-pieces as they slung in a succession of dangerous deliveries.

However, Rangers weathered the storm and produced another fightback that is quickly becoming a hallmark under Beale.

Morelos and Kent provided the attacking thrust as both players offered a glimpse of the form they have too often failed to produce this season.

For Kilmarnock, Armstrong's needless and reckless challenge on Barisic effectively ended their hopes of mounting a comeback of their own.

Derek McInnes' bold set-up of two strikers had paid off with his side's strong start, and while Rangers gradually assumed control, the hosts were right in it until the dismissal. Even a man down they never gave up the cause.

After a third consecutive game against either of the Old Firm, McInnes will look for this level of performance when Kilmarnock take on relegation rivals Ross County and Dundee United in their next two league games.

What they said

Kilmarnock manager Derek McInnes: "We set off the way we wanted, imposed ourselves physically, played a high tempo and got balls in the box.

"But Rangers were good from 20-25 minutes to the end of the first half - they were enjoying the game too much and it was difficult to contain them.

"The game changes really on the second yellow card for Danny and from there it was an uphill task."

Rangers manager Michael Beale: "The first 5-10 minutes, Killie came right for us and we were slow to start. We told the players what to expect but didn't heed that warning.

"After that, we grew in the game, scored a fantastic equaliser then were excellent for large periods of the second half and got 3-1 in front and should have taken one or two more opportunities.

"Then we concede a silly free-kick, it's a great strike from the lad, and same old story - it's heart in mouth for the final five minutes."

The focus turns to the Scottish Cup on Saturday, with Rangers beginning their defence of the trophy away to St Johnstone (17:30 GMT) while Kilmarnock host League 2 side Dumbarton (15:00).


Related Articles


Trans woman rapist Isla Bryson moved to male prison

by 24britishtvJan. 26, 2023, 11 p.m.2

Julia Fox's transparent house tour has everyone calling her humble

by 24britishtvJan. 26, 2023, 5 p.m.2

Guardiola on Arsenal revival: We need this type of challenge

by 24britishtvJan. 26, 2023, 5 p.m.2

Teen Wolf: The Movie Ending Explained

by 24britishtvJan. 26, 2023, 5 p.m.2

Rolfö extends stay until 2026

by 24britishtvJan. 26, 2023, 4 p.m.2

Rybakina to face Sabalenka in Melbourne final

by 24britishtvJan. 26, 2023, 4 p.m.2