WWE board investigating ‘$3m settlement’ by Vince McMahon over alleged affair
The World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) board is reportedly investigating claims Vince McMahon made a $3million (£2.47million) settlement to a former employee with whom he allegedly had an affair.
The Wall Street Journal reported that a January 2022 separation agreement allegedly prevents the woman – who was hired as a paralegal in 2019 – from disparaging the company’s boss or discussing their relationship.
It’s claimed the investigation began in April and has reportedly revealed other older nondisclosure agreements (NDAs) regarding allegations of misconduct made against Mr. McMahon and another senior staff member.
According to the report, a source said McMahon used personal funds to pay the former female employees who signed the NDAs, including the one referencing the other staff member.
It’s said the board was informed of the alleged agreement in a series of anonymous emails who said the former paralegal was their friend.
The first email – which was sent to board members on March 30 – claimed that McMahon hired her on a $100,000 salary, which allegedly doubled after they began a sexual relationship.
A spokesman for WWE told the outlet that the company is cooperating fully with the board inquiry.
They added that the relationship with the former paralegal was consensual, and noted the company is taking the allegations seriously and dealing with them in the appropriate manner.
Meanwhile, McMahon’s longtime attorney Jerry McDevitt told WSJ that the ex-paralegal hadn’t made any allegations of harassment against the boss.
He added that ‘WWE did not pay any monies’ to the woman ‘on her departure’.
The board of directors – made up of 12 members – includes a number of WWE executives and members of the family, including chairman Mr. McMahon,, his daughter Stephanie, her husband Paul ‘Triple H’ Levesque, and WWE President Nick Khan.
Stephanie announced last month she was taking a leave of absence to focus on her family, while in March Levesque confirmed his in-ring retirement months after he was left fighting for his life following a battle with viral pneumonia and heart failure, which has left him with a defibrillator in his chest.
Stephanie tweeted: ‘As of tomorrow, I am taking a leave of absence from the majority of my responsibilities at WWE. WWE is a lifelong legacy for me and I look forward to returning to the company that I love after taking this time to focus on my family.’
Metro.co.uk has contacted Jerry McDevitt and WWE representatives for comment.
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
MORE : WWE legend Jeff Hardy suspended by AEW without pay after DUI arrest
MORE : WWE legend Paige reveals failed pitches to get back on TV and confirms exit isn’t mutual